Search This Blog

Monday 30 March 2020

30th March 2020

Hi,  I am still isolating and still wondering when it is all going to get back to normal.  Frank goes back to work on Thursday but I don't go back till Monday which means another week of crafting, housework and watching podcasts.

I have no enthusiasm to even take the dog out some days, even though it is only for 10 minutes so she can do her toileting.

Today, I am still in my pyjamas and dressing gown and it is 2:30 pm and have found a new podcast to watch on Youtube.  It is called Tiny Fibre Studio and she talks about spinning as well as other crafts.

I started knitting on a hat using my handspun on the drop spindle and here is the progress so far..

 It feels quite itchy to knit with and will probably felt every time it gets washed so I will have to soak it in a wool wash and then lay it flat to dry.  He said he doesn't mind the itchiness so at least it will get used.

I just have to think what I am going to knit next with the handspun that I have left over.  There is probably enough to make mitts or another hat.

I will have to think about that!





 The next 2 photos are of sock tubes that I made for my Grandchildren.

Basically, a sock tube has no heel so as the child's foot grows, the socks won't be too small.  I am hoping they will actually fit for at least a couple of months!

The first photo is Regia Sock Yarn in the colour way Butterfly.  It is so pretty and feels quite robust for little feet.

I had casted on 56 stitches for my Granddaughter's feet and just kept knitting in the round.  I had drawn round her feet last September so I had a rough idea of how much to knit so that she had enough 'leg'.


 The next pair are tube socks I knit for my Grandson who has a slightly smaller foot so I knitted them with 50 Sts casted on.

It is such a simple knit if you want to learn how to knit in the round, especially if you want to knit socks but are worried about the outcome.

A heel is not hard to do, it just takes practice so once you have accomplished a tube with casting on, knitting in the round and decreasing for a toe, you should be a bit more confident.

I think there are patterns on Ravelry you can take a look at.

X X X X X X X X X X 



I recently sent a little parcel to my Grandchildren containing a few treats and they loved them so today, we sent a parcel with the tube socks in, some chocolate and these pictures that I drew of their favourite programme Peppa Pig.


They didn't take long to draw, I just got a picture up on google and copied it.  I thought they might like to colour them in while they are isolating.

They are fine, there Mum is just keeping safe because she has a baby of 6 months old and doesn't want to take any chances with them in going out.  She would have to get a bus to get out to her Mum but the buses and trains are running very limited.

My plans for today are to do some more knitting, Frank can heat up the stew I made yesterday, when he wants to eat and I think I will just stay home and think about my Grandchildren.

It will be a month since I had them over to stay and I miss them so much.  We have video chatted a couple of times.  Hooray, for technology.

X X X X X X X X X X X X X X X 

Finally, Covid-19 in my area has obviously had a knock on affect to the community.  The hospital that I work at only has front line staff, no visitors at all and if you work on Wards or in one of the office jobs, you are only allowed in at a specific entrance.  They have shut the main entrance to the hospital.

The clinics that normally run in the hospital, including my Dept, have all been moved to another hospital that is linked to mine so that wards and beds are free for Covid-19 patients and yes, there have been some deaths which is so sad for those families and the precious staff that work there dealing with this horrible virus.

The town I live in is so quiet, I live on a main road that is linked to a busy motorway and I am not use to having such little traffic outside.  All the schools were closed on Friday so it is even more quiet than usual.  My local shops like Gregg's bakery, hairdressers, gym, the gambling shop, pet shop have all closed under government guidance and the only shops that are open are Nisa and Co-Op which are a local mini-market and also the Butchers is open too.  

I still get post through the door but if I need any shopping, I have to go local mini-market which is a bit dearer than my local Asda.  Unfortunately, stupid people have been panic buying which has caused a shortage on the shelves in the big supermarkets even though there is no shortage of food supplies from distributors.  I was told the other day that Asda, Dagenham are only letting in 20 people at a time to keep the 2 meter distance regulation so I can only imagine what the queues are like outside.  I don't think I could bare that plus I think it is better to support your local small businesses if you can and the crowds are not so bad.  

It was mentioned on the news that our Prime Minister Boris Johnson is sending out letters to everyone about restrictions and isolation methods.  If people don't adhere to them then I can only imagine a curfew will take place or a complete curfew.  I hope not, I hope people do adhere to what the governments are saying so that this virus can just sod off and leave humanity alone.

My heart goes out to all those that have been affected and I hope that those few that do read my blog, stay safe please.


No comments: