Search This Blog

Monday 11 March 2019

Jewellery Making Addiction


Hello and welcome back to my latest posting about my crafting exploits of late.  The title of this post is a bit of an understatement and at the moment I have been rather disciplined in not letting Jewellery Making become another addictive hobby.  So I am going to show you my first couple of creations that I have dabbled in..


This first photograph was the first creation and in amongst some of the beads were these little heart shapes that were calling out to be necklace for my Grand Daughter Mya.  I had to watch a few Youtube tutorials and there are quite a lot of them that give you basic lessons in starting it all.

It is not what I call professional in any sense of the word but it is safe to use for my Mya and that is what I wanted.  I also had enough left over to make a little bracelet using some elastic type cord.  I have it now stored in a little organza bag to give to Mya as part of her Easter Gift.


I actually sat at my dinner table to make this and when I got up from the table I was so stiff. I forgot to move my legs and flex my feet to keep the circulation going,  so I need to remember that for the next time I make something else.  Of course that wasn't far away and here is the next photo.


The green beads are an absolute favourite of mine and they have a slight gold tinge to them so I decided to make myself a necklace this time and used some small gold beads with a crystal looking bead too.  Just love it and wore the necklace around the house for a while.  Then when I picked it up the next day the jump ring came away from the necklace.  I kind of pooh poohed it then and thought to myself 'never mind, I can fix that' and I did and have been wearing again. 

I would never ever give the jewellery away to anyone or even sell them because they are unique to me and my family plus I would be embarrassed if they didn't last for very long.



Now I am going to show you one that I made a few days ago, I was feeling the addiction creeping up and thought about making another necklace.  I then came up with this and I absolutely love it.  I am still trying to get use to the finishing off technique which is fitting the lobster and jump ring so that it can be fastened around the neck.  

I have also noticed since doing this hobby that my eyes are not as good as they use to be and lucky for me I have a small downlight that I can move about so that it is directly over my shoulder and shining on what I am doing.  








I also realise how much I enjoy episodes of peace and quiet during the day and this is so relaxing.

Now I am going to show you what I have made for my Grandson Martyn.  I could not leave him out of getting a necklace and because he is still quite young I had to think of what I can put together for him that will be safe to wear.

There was some cord in amongst the bits and bobs and so I went and bought from Hobbycraft a set of alphabet beads and made him a cord necklace which his Mum has agreed would be ok for him to wear.  He loves putting things around his neck, he tries to put my glasses on but they end up sitting under his chin.  So that is part of his Easter gift done for him too.


Finally the last item I have had a go at doing is repairing a bracelet of mine that Frank bought me a few years ago from Gems TV.  It is a Sarah Bennett design bracelet and after wearing it for a while the clasp just snapped.  I have had it stored in my jewellery box for a heck of a long time because I just love the beads and so I thought, I would have a go at fixing it.  Guess what, I did and it looks great.


The beads are fairly weighty and they consist of morganite and opals.  I just love this bracelet, I kept the original clasps and all the individual silver beads that were with it.  The original wire it was on was doubled but thin and had a knot after 3 beads but I didn't do that, I just used a stronger wire and re-placed the jump rings.

I did purchase another set of pliers that are super useful and were £6 out of Hobbycraft.  I also got a small divided storage box for all of the FINDINGS that you need to make jewellery (like jump rings etc).  I just need to get a bigger storage tower with lots of little drawers to sort all the beads out.







Finally, I wanted to say that I have not won the lottery and purchased a whole load of jewellery making items.  I was lucky to be the 'First come, first serve' friend on Instagram who was getting rid of all her daughter's jewellery making stuff.  I ended up getting 2 packages in the post and oh my goodness, it was like Christmas all over again.  I was thinking for ages about starting up another hobby but the fact that it takes me away from my knitting and crochet kinda put me off but as the old saying goes 'never look a gift horse in the mouth' and when I saw the posting on instagram I just had to see if I was lucky enough to get it.

So now I am kind of hooked on jewellery making, I am watching videos on Youtube of how to make stacked rings and maybe, just maybe will have a go at that next...or even some earrings.  Watch this space...

Finally I did go to Hobbycraft to have a look at some yarn that I had my eye on from my last visit and thought while I have to get the alphabet beads for Martyn's necklace anyway, I may as well get that yarn I was after.



As you can see I got a little bit more than I expected.  In fact that little pile of treats cost £27 but was well worth it and the book of 400 knitting stitches did bump the price of.  The yarn was buy 2, get one free, the glitter glue was 90p instead of £1.80 and the little scrap A5 books were £2 for 3 books.  

The yarn is a Hobbycraft brand and is a light grey and so soft and squishy.  I am thinking about a design for a crochet 'something' but not quite settled in my idea at the moment but at least I have the yarn.  I can't quite remember the price of the yarn, I think it was £4.




Blimey this was a long post and I hope it has not bored my readers too much, I do enjoy writing about my crafting life and am trying to keep on top of blogging.  I had over 300 page views last month which was fantastic and makes me want to write more.  

I have had a lovely 5 days using up my annual leave before end of March, I have got to go back to work tomorrow :( but only for a few days and then am off Friday for my final day of annual leave for this tax year.

Take care and be back soon.  xx
 

No comments: