Search This Blog

Tuesday 29 January 2019

Viking of Norway Garn Raggen

This title is a new yarn to me, I did mention it in my last blogpost and I would like to do a review of it based upon the pair of socks I have just knitted for my partner.

Firstly here is a photo of the completed socks,

It is not a great photo to be honest but I think it shows up the colours really well.  I have been taking photos at each stage of the knitting but I wanted to save them for a pattern blog which will be coming soon. 

This sock yarn comes in 150g balls and the first thing I noticed was that the label does not say whether it is an Aran, DK etc.  It does consist of 70% Superwash and 30% Nylon so it is fine for socks and on the inside of the ball band there is a lot of writing presumably in Norwegian.  Obviously I do not know what it says which is unfortunate.

When knitting with the yarn it seems to be a DK but you could assume it was an Aran weight and would be great for blankets, jumpers etc but because my Partner bought me 8 balls to make thick socks for him and me, I decided to just stick with socks.  

I used 3.25 mm needles and eventually after a bit of frogging I realised I had cast on too many stitches to start the sock.  So I ended up reducing the stitches quite a bit and finally got the size that suited.  The yarn knits up very quickly which is why I think it may be a good yarn for other things too.  I love the colour although I could not find what it is called.  I looked on Ravelry and the colour is not listed so I just put Col 734 Multicolour because Col 735 (which is what it is) is not listed.  I actually knitted 3/4 of the first sock in just one sitting and then completed the other sock in less than a few hours.  

The yarn is a bit splitty at times and as my experience grows it is not of a high twist but I think that adds to the actual texture and warmth the completed product gives.  My partner wanted thick socks for wearing in his boots and waders when he is at work and last night he gave me his opinion saying that his feet did not feel cold at all working outside.  The temperature has been around 3 degrees in the daylight.

I thought that the 150g ball would leave me a little left over to put into my scrap garter stitch blanket but it didn't.  I actually used the whole lot and needed to start on the other ball of yarn to do the toe decreases.  I didn't mind that because there will be plenty on the second ball to make myself a pair too.  My partner is a size 9 foot and I am a size 6.  I knitted for about 4 hours straight yesterday and have only got half of the foot to finish so it is a great quick knit.  I will be using my pair for House Socks because I am not a lover of carpet slippers.

Here is a photo of the first sock I made which you can see the colours a bit better

I hope that this little review has given an insight into this gorgeous yarn, I just wanted to add a little something different to my blog.  I am definitely going to enjoy making more socks with this yarn and will post a picture of my pair shortly.


No comments: