Search This Blog

Sunday 14 November 2021

14th November 2021

For the last few weeks I have been crafting a lot and then I lost my mojo again. I am still trying to use up my acrylic stash into blankets and will start another one soon and probably gift it.  I have so many now!

I have just finished a bolster cushion that I have called Onions Bolster on my Ravelry projects.  I had a go at yarn dyeing with onion skins and it was a good experience.  So interesting to do but I decided to just do it now and then when I want a unique colour.  Now that it is winter and have got no chance of getting skeins dry, I decided to maybe have a go again in the spring/summer next year.

Here is a few photos of the bolster cushion that I have finished tonight.  I have decided it is a present for my son and his partner for Christmas.  I have enough cushions around the house.


It was originally going to be a cowl but I got a bit bored and after deciding it was long enough for a cushion, I left it sitting in my craft pile to be finished and then after about a month, I picked it up again and picked up stitches at one end making sure I left a ridge to show a bit of texture and just knitted and decreased to make it look like the top of a hat.

I then put it down again for a few days and then Friday evening I started on the other end.  In between entertaining the Grandkids (they have gone home now, Sunday) and after finally sitting down and resting this afternoon, I picked up stitches at the other end and just 7 rounds of knitting, an eyelet round, 7 rounds of knitting and again an eyelet round.  I then did a few plain rounds and casted it off.  

I threaded through the eyelet holes with some craft rope that I had lurking about in my craft draw and happy with the results.


Can you see the darker stripe colour.  When I dyed the yarn I held 2 skeins dangling into the dyepot and then slowly emersed the rest. The yarn just sucked up most of the colour.

I am happy with the overall result and I think that if I do more dyeing, I would rather use natural colours rather than acid colours.

I will have to think about the next colour and what I can use to create it.

I did make Frank a pair of socks too out of the yarn but I forgot to take a photo of them.  So out of 2 skeins of dyed yarn, I did quite well.


I am so glad that Autumn/Winter is here now, I love this season.  It is still quite mild though, I hope we get some cold temperatures soon so I can get my wooly hats and scarves out.

I am still working on my cross stitch which seems to be taking forever.. I am at the half way mark and will  take a photo for next time.

Be back soon!









No comments: