Search This Blog

Saturday 16 May 2020

May 16th, 2020

Good evening and are we enjoying the lockdown....I flipping am not.  I have managed to persuade my boss to let me go into work twice a week now and the public transport are requesting that everyone wears a face mask in case the trains/buses are busy with people slowly returning to work.  So I can do that easily, what I can't do is knit on the bus because wearing a mask and having to wear my spectacles means the spectacles steam up and I can't see what I am knitting.

Never mind, I still get to knit in my lunch break whether working from home or in the office.


Now there is a story behind the fingerless mittens in the picture above.  They are my own design because originally I wanted go practice colour work socks so I casted on 72 stitches using Novita Nalle yarn which is durable yarn, warm and lovely to knit with.  

I knitted the leg in the design, I  knitted the heel flap, heel turn, gussets and about 15 rounds for the foot and then when Frank tried them on for size, it would not go over his heel.  Bugger!  So I had to unpick back to the start of the heel flap and decided to just knit a pair of mitts and wondering how am I ever going to knit a pair of colour work socks that are going to fit properly.

The gauge is 10 Sts to the inch using 2.5mm and I thought that casting on 72 stitches and knitting looser, it would surely fit.  Nope!  So if anyone has any suggestions please let me know.  I could go up to the recommended needle size on the ball band which is a 3.5/4 mm needle but then would that not come out too big.  

I don't know, I am so unsure and there are a pair of socks on Ravelry that I want to knit called The Bassalisk which is a snake curling itself around the foot.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * 

Oh well, I am off now to watch some podcasts because as usual, a Saturday Tv viewing is absolutely crap.  No decent films on or documentaries.

I am going to knit a sock tube now with the rest of the yarn left with bigger needles and at least I will get an idea of what size needle I may need to use.

Bye for now!


No comments: