Search This Blog

Tuesday 9 January 2018

January 9th

So last night I watched a documentary called The Edge of Life and it was about what goes on in the Theatre at the hospital when you go in for an operation.  It was an insight into long procedures of around 8 to 12 hrs long, they filmed a middle aged lady talking about her visit to the dentist which turned out to be not an abscess but a tumour growing from the top of her jaw to her eye socket.  She said that if she did not have the operation to remove the tumour she would die very soon and knew that she would lose the top part of her jaw and her right eye.  She also decided to not have any family or friends at the hospital because it was something she wanted to deal with alone and potentially, not wake up from it.

I had to put my knitting down and concentrate on the programme, it was so interesting to watch these surgeons sew together 3mm veins/arteries and to remove parts of bone to make her a new jaw so that her face would not be so collapsed on one side.  The operation took 8.5 hrs in the end and towards the end of the programme which was filmed a few months later, she walked into the hospital for a check up and oh my goodness, the lady looked amazing because the scarring was faded and only very visible if you get right up close.

There was also another lady who had both her breasts removed due to cancer and whilst in surgery they removed some of her fatty tissue from her stomach (with main veins) and pushed them under the skin where her breasts were.  A few days later, they did not show you her chest but the Surgeon who is a lady, went in to visit her on the private ward said that her boobs looked amazing.  Even the patient said that she does not feel like she has lost her boobs and that they felt normal.

It is fantastic this programme, if you are not squeamish please take a look at it.  I am sure it is on Iplayer or google it on YOUTUBE.  Called The Edge of Life.  Apparently it is on again next week so take a look at it if you can.

So today I went to the Library at Heathway and fortunately, Franks book that he pre-ordered was available to loan (Robert Harris, Munich) so I collected that for him.  I then bought some baby food and walked back home.

It has been a dull and damp day today, I have had to have the light on most of the day.  It is now 3.45pm and I think it is time to close the curtains.  There is absolutely nothing on the tv to watch so I have not got a clue what to do with myself this evening.  I have been working on my second strip again this afternoon and here is a little video of me knitting continental to ease the pain of my right hand.


I am going to go and sort out the dogs dinner now and hopefully find something to watch on tv or if not, just potter around the house.

Have a good evening!

No comments: