Search This Blog

Sunday 11 September 2016

Back on the needles

Where do I start about my knitting mojo disappearing for a while.....was it because of stress, because of the humid weather we have been having lately, because I just cannot concentrate on anything or just feeling old and lazy!   I really do not know why but at last, after spending many moments at work and at home in a daze of thoughts of different ideas I decided to kick myself into action again.   

Unfortunately I think a lot of it has to do with the pain I am having to deal with in my feet every single time I decide to move around.  I ended up getting referred to the hospital who said I have a severe case of Plantar Fasciatas and because I have left it so long (over a year) it is going to take a long time to heal.  So I have been told, not advised, but told that I have to stop walking long distances and use public transport, I have to keep off my feet for long periods of standing (basically sit down more) which means my weight is going to go up a bit and to never ever jog again.   Why me!!!

It is just not fair, I loved jogging!   So to cut the story short, I now have an appointment on the 21st September to go get a steroid injection in my foot, from the underneath (ouch!!) which is going to hurt like hell and then got to be on crutches for a few days.  So, bang goes my nice week off with Frank and going out to different places and instead I have to stay in and not do much.   Hopefully I will get more crafting done.

So here is my first design project for a while that has got my mojo back.  I have not written up the pattern yet but I do hope to get it done soon.


I have decided to call it Waiting for Christmas and is a crocheted cowl using a soft and silky 4ply yarn that wraps twice around your neck.  I did not want something that was too long and bulky but a cowl that would sit nicely on top of a coat done up to the neck or slightly open.  It is warm enough to keep the chill off but also not too warm to give you another hot flush.  

I then decided after finishing the cowl that I should start using my stash and one particular stash was purchased in 2013 at the Craft fair in Olympia, London called Namolio.  It is a 4ply yarn, 100% wool and rather itchy to the touch.  I purchased 2 skeins of it that were already caked up and I started knitting the Violet Waffle hat that is on Ravelry.com.  I also wanted a project for my bag so that I could knit on the bus to work, during my lunch break and on the way home.  It was a rather easy knit and I decided it needed a pompom too.  





It only took about a week to knit and although it felt itchy at first to knit with, when it is a completed project, it is cosy and warm and not itchy at all because I definetely would moan about that.

The next hat I started the same day, straight after completing Violet Waffle.  This one is called Elementary Geometry on Ravelry.com too. 



This had a slightly different style which involved a bit more concentration.  It is a free pattern and the original pattern said stocking stitch for the rim which you fold in half and join but I did not think it was going to be firm enough to stay on so I decided to do a 2 x 2 rib, fold it in half and then join it.   

This hat took the same amount of time again and I thoroughly enjoyed it.  My head is 23inches in diameter but I knitted the smaller size because of the ribbing and I am glad I did.  I love the slight slouchy effect and the way the pattern decreases to the crown.  I would definetely do this again.

I still have another cake of Namolio to use and will knit up a matching cowl to go with the two hats but first, my Rowan Frost yarn has been looking at me for almost 3 years to be knit into something, so I have started something else that I can knit on the bus to work, it especially helps to concentrate on my knitting when the bus is full of teenage school kids who are rather loud and irritating. 

I still have the large crochet scrap blanket on the go and pick it up now and then, especially when the weather starts getting cold.  I really do not like the humidity we have been having and although the past few days has been better, there is more of it on the way.  I just cannot wait for Autumn to arrive properly so I can a) get the warm coats out, b) get my shawls out and c) go back to my walking after my foot has healed!!

I am off to do some more knitting, watch The Antiques Roadshow and to drink a nice cup of Tetley Tea. Enjoy the rest of the weekend!!







No comments: