Search This Blog

Sunday 11 September 2011

Sunday Bake Day


I was going to pop into work today to catch up on a few things but decided to do some home baking with the intent to make me feel like a homemaker. Even though one child is in Cuba for holidays and the other pops into the kitchen to hunt for food without much conversation.

So I was reading a couple of blogs that I like and one of them gave a receipe for 'Granola Bars' and yes, they are expensive to buy from shops and full of additives so I thought I'd give it a go. Here is my outcome, its a cross between cereal bar and bread pudding (without the bread) but is absolutely yummy. There was also a receipe for Chilli which was made from fresh beefburgers and as it happens, I have got some fresh beef burgers I put in freezer so I am defrosting them and going to make my own chilli. Again, hopefully it will be eaten.

As we all are well aware, the weather is changing now and Autumn is vastly approaching, I noticed my shrubs in the garden are starting to die and even the flowers on my hydranger have started to brown already. Its such a shame, but on the other hand, I can cut it all back at the end of the month and winter-ise my garden.

However, whilst several plants are turning brown I have had the fortunate luck this year with my 'morning glory' plant. Its a traditional English Country Garden plant and I grew it from seed this year. I had planted it out into a large black pot and put sticks in it like a tipee but within a few weeks, the plants were getting eaten or just not doing anything. I then moved the pot nearer to the house in the sunniest of positions and hey presto, a fortnight later it was thriving. Then earlier in the week I noticed these beautiful flowers opening up and have finally achieved this plant.I love my garden and part of me loves being out there but the other part of me doesnt enjoy it anymore purely because there's no one around to enjoy it with me. My kids are not interested in the garden and dont sit out there. In fact, my two cats sit in the garden more than any of us do. I am considering potting up a load of plants ready for spring next year so if I can get a move to a different house, at least I can take a little of my garden with me.

Finally, I started my christmas knitting and it sure was not to save money. These socks have cost £6 so far but that dont include the time it takes to knit them. I have made one sock and its taken about a weeks worth of evenings because of using size 2.5mm double pointed needles. Its my own pattern too so once I have finished them I will put the pattern on here to share. That's me all done and dusted now. Another week of work ahead.

No comments: